Getting started with Proxyman
This tutorial is going to demonstrate how we can use Proxyman to intercept HTTPS Traffic from your macOS devices.
1. Download Proxyman
2. Proxyman dashboard
There are three essential parts.
- Source List (Left Panel) is where all apps and domains are listed.
- Request List (Middle Panel): All request/response from the selected Source.
- Content (Bottom Panel) is where you can see all Request/Response content.
As soon as you start the Proxyman, Proxyman would:
- Automatically override your HTTP/HTTPS Proxy in System Network Preference. It's super convenient for you since you can see the traffic immediately without doing anything.
- Prompt to install Proxyman Helper Tool.
We highly recommend you to install the Helper Tools because you can gain the following features for free:
- Automatically override HTTP/HTTPS Proxy with high performance. You can notice the bottleneck when opening Proxyman for the first time.
- Gracefully revert the HTTP/HTTPS Proxy if the app is unexpectedly crashed.
3. Search and Pin your app/domain
You could quickly search your apps/domains by using "Ctrl+Shift+F" then selecting the "Pin" in the right menu.
We choose Product Hunt as the best example to demonstrate.
Distraction-free is an integral feature of Proxyman since all other domains are entirely ignored. You won't get lost by the flooding of additional requests.
That's cool 👏
4. HTTP/HTTPS Request and Response
In order to see HTTP/HTTPS Traffic in plain text from ProductHunt app, please follow the following step:
- Select your desired domains or app on the Left Panel.
- Select Enable SSL Proxying for this domain or entire app on Bottom Panel.
By enabling SSL for particular apps or domains, Proxyman only intercepts these particular domains and proxies other traffic. As a result, Proxyman doesn't burden your Macbook CPU and less energy for Macbook Baterry.
5. Proxyman CA Certificate
We understand that this process is so complicated in other tools, so we carefully re-design to simplify it.
As soon as you enable SSL Proxying, Proxyman would prompt a Certificate Installation Windows:
You can either install the certificate in an Automatic or Manual way.
- Automatic: It's a useful solution for installing and trusting the Proxyman Certificate in one step.
- Manual: You can install and trust manually. It's suitable for power-user.
If you're a beginner, we highly recommend using the Automatic way because it can be done with a single click.
6. Request and Response Previewer
After installing the Proxyman Certificate, it's a perfect time to debug 😋. Proxyman is now capable of intercepting the HTTPS request & response and automatically display in pretty-JSON viewers.
From the Content panel (Bottom-Panel), you can navigate too:
- Header, Query, Cookies, and JSON response
All content viewers are built-in with a native search bar. So you can manipulate or search the content by pressing Ctrl-F as usual.
Alternatively, even with your favorited Editor apps ❤️
7. Debug with different params
Proxyman is built-in with the useful collection of debugging tools:
- Repeat: Repeat your Request with current parameters => It's super easy to try out your API, to make sure it works or not
- Edit & Repeat: Start editing the parameters => Test new context quickly. It's useful when you want to know how the Backend responds to new requests.
- Map Local: Map matched requests with a local file as a response.
- Map Remote: Change the destination of the request. Ex: Change all localhost:8080 to https://api.myserver.com
- Breakpoint: Modify the request and response on the fly.
8. Export your current Session
You can export your current Proxyman Session and share it with your teammates or QA team ❤️ From there, your co-workers could open and reproduce the bugs/issues immediately.
Or directly attach the log session to any Project Management like Jira, Trello.
9. Multiple Tabs
Proxyman takes advantage of Cocoa Document-Based app, so you can working in different tab efficiently.
More interesting, all tab hot-keys are consistent with Google Chrome and Safari, so you can increase your productivity significantly 🚀
- Ctrl+T to open a new Tab.
- Ctrl+Shift+ [ or ] to navigate tab forward or backward.
- Ctrl+1, 2, 3 (number) to quickly open specific tabs.
10. Where to Go From Here?
If you have any questionm or feature requests, don't hesitate to open the ticket in our Github.